Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Bandwagon

I called this scarf the Bandwagon Scarf because everybody's knitting it. With good reason!

_MG_2855


I used Cascade 220 in an ivory tone and some pinky-purple Noro Silk Garden. I LOVE the end result. I was a little worried because some have said that Noro is quite scratchy, but now that I've worn this I can safely say that I don't find it scratchy at all. Win!

I knit this quite long because I wanted it to be super cozy and wrap twice around my neck. It's on the narrower side (5") but it's over 8 feet long! I finally invested in a digital kitchen scale (on sale for $10!), so I know that this took exactly 1.17 skeins of Cascade 220 and 2.34 skins of Noro. I really lucked out because a good friend happened to have some Noro scraps from her own striped project that matched my scarf perfectly! Otherwise this would have been too short to wrap twice and I don't think I would have been even half as happy with it.

_MG_2854


The bind-off threw me for a bit of a loop. I generally start all projects with the long-tail cast-on and finish with a regular ol' knitted bind-off (unless otherwise instructed), but they look waaaaaayy different from each other and this is the first time it has been important to me that the edges match. After some failed experiments, I landed on this video and it worked like a charm.

So, on to the next! I'm thinking I might use the remaining Cascade to make an ivory hat to go with. (Is that too matchy-matchy? The only hat I wear at the moment is black and cabled.) In the meantime, I'm working on finishing up another WIP - the Textured Shawl Recipe in this gorgeous stuff:

_MG_2273


(And there's some sewing on the horizon, too. But more on that later.)

24 comments:

  1. I do love how the Noro yarns change colour, and this is no exception. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how such a simple concept can look so unique each time it's made up. I love looking at all the FOs of this pattern on Rav!

      Delete
  2. That looks so amazingly warm! Great job. I look forward to see what you're up to in the sewing world, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It won't be to matchy-matchy at all (or I should say I love matchy-matchy ;) Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is a really lovely scarf... you are tempting me to jump on the bandwagon. As for an ivory hat, I think it would look great so go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this version of your scarf. It looks super snuggly and perfect with the sweater. Don't think that the matching hat will be too "matchy-matchy". In fact, whenever, I have that thought, I remember this Yarn Harlot blog post (see "Excuse the Seventh" section): http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2009/01/21/down_but_not_out.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, love that. She's totally right. I don't like to be TOO matchy-matchy but I definitely want to be coordinated.

      Delete
  6. Lovely scarf! I agree an ivory hat won't be bad matchy-matchy... but then I bought a bunch of skeins of the same yarn to make matching mittens, scarves, and hats for myself, so maybe I'm not a good one to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I suppose with neutrals like the ivory you can't really be TOO matchy matchy anyway :D

      Delete
  7. Would the hat be striped like the scarf? If it's just ivory that's not matchy matchy at all to me. It's a beautiful scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, no, definitely just ivory (I'm totally out of the Noro anyway). Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad to see you're back. This is so pretty - I really want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! I love the colors on you! An ivory hat would be so pretty on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great article, Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete